The Basics Part 1--Beleive

Wednesday is “Feed Your Faith, Starve Your Fears” day. I think the best place to start is with the basics.

I believe God intended for faith to be simple. If getting saved was complicated God would be running the risk that many would be lost because they couldn’t find the way. He desires that all his creation be saved (1 Timothy 2:4).So he’s straightforward in what he says, and he gives us signposts. “For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:16, NLT). “Jesus told him, ‘I am the way, the truth, and the life. No can come to the Father except through me” (John 14:6, NLT).

Belief comes first. Like many things in life, belief in the God of the Bible is a choice. I can’t remember a time when I did not believe in God. For others, belief is more difficult. One can study the religious texts of the world and sit at the feet of religious scholars and be taught, but one’s belief still comes down to choice. God helps us every way he can. He gave us the Bible to help us come to know and believe in him. If someone asked me why I believe in God, I would answer, “Because he has proven himself to me through my life experiences. He does what the Bible says he’ll do.”

I’m no theologian, but I am happy to answer any questions you may have. If I don’t know, I’ll do my best to find someone who does. Debra L. Butterfield ©2010

No comments:

Post a Comment