Am I Salty?

 “Salt is good. But if it loses its flavor, how do you make it salty again? You must have the qualities of salt among yourselves and live in peace with each other” (Mark 9:49, NLT).

What are the qualities of salt? I asked myself when I read this verse this morning. Two that immediately came to mind were that it enhances flavor and it preserves. If I apply those qualities to my life, then my words and actions should enhance the lives of others—make their lives better no matter how small. Maybe my salt is to:

·         Bring cookies to a new neighbor
·         Visit a sick friend
·         Write a letter of encouragement to a struggling friend
·         Let someone go ahead in line at the grocery store
·         Donate clothes to the homeless
·         Give time or money to the local food bank

What do others see when they examine my life, listen to my words, watch my actions toward others? Have the demands of life clogged my shaker? Has my salt lost its flavor? Or does my salt flow freely enough that others think “What does she have that makes her so different? I want that too.”

Unlike table salt, if I’ve lost my flavor, I can regain it by turning to God and asking for his help. He’s in the full-time business of restoring flavor to life. (If you’ve never met God, post a comment and let me know. I’d be glad to introduce you!)

Are you flavorless or flavorful? Spend some time with God today, and then go shake some salt.

Debra L. Butterfield © 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment