What’s Holding You Back?

We all have our difficulties. For me, it has been a constant battle to trust God. I’ve spent considerable time in self-examination to learn why.

For me, to fail is to be rejected. I don’t know why I believe that, and right now knowing why isn’t important. Recognizing that fact about myself will help me overcome it. Here’s how it has affected my relationship with God. I’m afraid to fully trust God because I expect tests and trials (that’s a posting for another day) and I’m afraid to fail the test. To fail the test is to be rejected. I cannot bear the thought of being rejected by God.

God in his wisdom knows this about me and provided his answer.

“What peace it brings to the Christian’s heart to realize that our Heavenly Father never differs from Himself. In coming to Him at any time we need not wonder whether we shall find Him in a receptive mood. He is always receptive to misery and need, as well as to love and faith. He does not keep office hours nor set aside periods when He will see no one. Neither does He change His mind about anything. Today, this moment, He feels toward His creatures, toward babies, toward the sick, the fallen, the sinful, exactly as he did when He sent His only begotten So into the world to die for mankind” (from The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer).

He loves me now and he will love me still when I fail. Even if I were to reject him, he will never stop loving me. He feels the same way about you. What’s holding you back from reaching out to God?

“For I am the Lord, I do not change” (Malachi 3:6, NKJV).

Debra L. Butterfield © 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment