Paradigm Shift

I made the most startling discovery yesterday during my quiet time with God. My relationship with him had become like that of tugging a bulldog on a leash that refused to follow. Worse yet, I was doing everything to coax him along including offering the ultimate treat “God, your Word says…” What happened? How had I come to this? After all, I was focused on doing his will. How could that be wrong? But his will wasn’t the issue—my focus was.

I was focused on following a plan, rather than following God. Essentially I was saying, “God, here’s the plan I think you have for my life. Now I want you to come along and make it happen.” Ouch! I had pushed God off the throne and ascended it myself. This prideful attitude didn’t happen overnight, but I’m so grateful that I laid it aside in an instant once God opened my eyes.

What a pleasure to let go of that tenacious bulldog. The average bulldog weighs around 55 lbs., but for me it was like removing a 1000 lb. stone from around my neck. Paul told the Philippians “Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.” This is a paradigm shift in my thinking that makes me want to shout “Hallelujah!” With my focus on following (and getting to know better) an almighty and loving God, I can follow with joy and be confident in his plan for my life.

How about you? Where is your focus? Are you trying to drag God along on your journey, or have you left him out altogether? An intimate relationship with God is the journey.

Debra L. Butterfield © 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment