Build a Foundation

For as long as I can remember, I have believed in God and that Jesus died to save me. But it wasn’t until I was 24 that I was born again (see John 3) and made God the Lord of my life. In the years that have followed, trusting God has been a consistent issue.  From crisis to crisis, I have waffled from trust to mistrust like a tennis ball during the Wimbledon Championship. But I want to stand firm!

Trust is foundational to any relationship. Many of my posts since I began this blog have spoken about God’s trustworthiness. Until last week, I didn’t understand the basis of that trust—God does not change.  If God was a God who changes, how could we trust him or believe he would keep any of his promises?

God gives us a foundation for our faith in him by making his character known throughout the Bible. One of the foundational stones is God’s immutability. “For I am the LORD, I do not change” (Malachi 3:6, New King James Version). Oh, to fully grasp the fact that God cannot change is to end the waffling, no more to be batted to and fro, no more to doubt. To be changeable would be to make him less than the almighty God that he is.

Why did it take me so long to come to this realization? For many reasons, but primarily because I have never attempted to know God as deeply as I have sought to know him this year. I read his Word, but didn’t think about what it was saying beyond the surface. I could have asked “What does this passage say about God?”, but never did.

Seek God with all your heart and you will find him. 

Debra L. Butterfield © 2010
Recommended reading: The Knowledge of the Holy by A.W. Tozer

No comments:

Post a Comment