Hamster Days

I had a very frustrating day yesterday. One of those days when you feel like all you did was spin your wheels. Lately, those days have really been adding up. When I stopped to think how I could stop spinning, the Holy Spirit prompted me to remember two devotionals I read recently. They were about determination and standing firm. Then I remembered my goals and my desire to serve God and I was able to see I had allowed other things to distract me.

If you find yourself running alongside the hamster, here are some steps you can take to get off the wheel and back on the right path.

1. Take some time to refocus on the important things. What are the priorities in your life? What are your goals? Write down your priorities and goals. Review them regularly and make adjustments if needed.

2. What you are spending your time doing? Are these activities just sucking up your time and energy or are they moving you closer to your goals? Do they support your priorities?

3. Develop a routine and set a time limit to your activities. The laundry has to get washed and the meals cooked, but activities such as these need not eat up all your time. Schedule time to work toward your goals. As a freelancer, I read my email first thing in the morning and then try to spend the rest of the morning writing. (My creativity is at its best in the morning.) I save the afternoons for activities such as research, writing queries and studying markets. Use whatever resources are at hand to help you. Set an alarm clock or kitchen timer to remind you that it’s time to end the job search activity and move on to the next task.

4. Stay focused on the positive. Worry saps your emotional and physical energy. Take steps to change what you can change, and let go of what you can’t control.

5. Stay connected to God by spending time in his word. I find I can keep things in better perspective by feeding my faith and affirming God’s promises to me. When I wake up discouraged, like I did this morning, I can stand firm and determined by quoting Scripture and praising God.

“Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go” (Joshua 1:9, NIV). ©2009 Debra L. Butterfield

No comments:

Post a Comment