Battling Temptation

How long did Peter weep that fateful night in Jerusalem some 2000 years ago? He had denied Christ three times just hours after he had vowed to die with him if necessary. His pride blinded him to his weakness. Peter was self-confident, and when the crucial moment arrived, he didn’t have the strength within him to follow through on his promise. Do you have the strength needed to follow through on your promises?

I like to think that there are certain things I would never do—murder, steal, have an affair. But I realize under certain circumstances I might do any of those things. Like Peter, within myself I am weak.

“If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure” (1 Corinthians 10:12, 13, NLT). This is good news indeed! When a temptation challenges me, I can call out to God and access his strength to help me resist. Let our strength be in God-confidence rather than self-confidence.

  • “I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.” (Philippians 4:13, NLT)
  • “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.” (Matthew 7:7, NIV)
  • “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.” (Ephesians 3:20)
  • “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9, NKJV)
Oh, the wonders of God’s power and his promises.

Debra L. Butterfield © 2010.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment