The Shepherd and His Sheep

Terrorists bombed a bus in Israel today wounding 31 people and killing 1. Civil war is tearing Libya apart and impacting the world. An earthquake, tsunami and nuclear plant failures wrought disaster in Japan. Fear can leave us wondering, What’s going to happen next and how close to home will it strike?

The psalmist King David wrote “The Lord is my shepherd; I have everything I need” (Psalm 23:1, NLT). The New International Version states it this way, “The LORD is my shepherd, I lack nothing.”

David was a shepherd. He understood a shepherd leads, protects and provides for the flock. No matter what came his way, he knew God, as his shepherd, would provide what was needed. David’s intimate relationship with God led him to this complete trust.

When we are afraid to trust someone it is because we think that person won’t do what he said he would do. We’re afraid our trust will leave us left empty handed. Unfortunately, that same mistrust of people pollutes our relationship with God.

Trust comes through knowledge.
My time spent reading the Bible has led me to verses like these:

“God is our refuge and strength,
     always ready to help in times of trouble.
So we will not fear when earthquakes come
     and the mountains crumble into the sea” (Psalm 46:2, NLT).

“God is not a man, so he does not lie.
     He is not human, so he does not change his mind.
Has he ever spoken and failed to act?
     Has he ever promised and not carried it through?” (Numbers 23:19, NLT).

Trust comes through experience.
There have been times in my life when I didn’t know how I was going to pay the rent or put food on the table. But I cried out to God to provide a way to pay the rent and buy food; to provide wisdom and strength to endure until the circumstances past. And he has always come through.

Like David, my relationship with God has taught me I can trust him. I can stand confident in God in whatever comes my way. Are you struggling to trust God? Do you feel he has let you down? Leave your comments or encouragement below. 
Debra L. Butterfield © 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment